Friday, October 21, 2005

Judy May Be Going Back To Jail

Now, people do forget things. But I would advise any of my readers who ever find themselves before a grand jury to avoid the following situation:


Prosecutor: Ms. Blogreader, did you have a meeting at the White House with Wesley Wrongdoer any time before July of 2003?

Ms. Blogreader: No, Mr. Prosecutor, I don't recall any such meeting.

Prosecutor: Are you sure? Think hard.

Ms. Blogreader: No, Mr. Prosecutor, I have no memory of any meeting at the White House with Wesley Wrongdoer before July of 2003.

Prosecutor: 'Cause see, I have this Secret Service log book here, and here's your name, and the time you arrived, and the length of your meeting with Wesley Wrongdoer. And it's signed by you. Twice.

Ms. Blogreader: Oh, THAT meeting.


Like I said, people forget things. But exchanges like this, well, they just don't go over well with perjury juries.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeez, doesn't she keep her daily planners or something? I would hope if I'm ever in front of a grand jury, I'll have had time to go over my old calendars and verify this stuff. I would think it would go double for journalists, given their need for documentation to write stories. Maybe that day was labeled "Meeting with SuperSecretSource #34B"...

Anonymous said...

Selective memory is a fantastic defense! One of the reasons it's going to be difficult to convict Delay (or anyone else on conspiracy) is because it's sometimes difficult to prove what people know or think.

I find it entirely believable that a person who attends 6 meetins a day would not remember a particular meeting two years ago, regardless of who it's with or what it's about. I've been involved in a car wreck before (something you'd think people would remember) and I'm not sure I can pin down the month it was in. I'm sure she keeps planners. Time is money and power, and in her case, it's quite a lot of both. But you can always choose to come to the grand jury selectively underprepared, without your planners, so that you can honestly answer you don't remember who you met with or when it was.

Unknown said...

Note again the sequence of events, the original Miller story, and what we know now.

On June 23, Miller meets with Libby to discuss Wilson and Plame.

On July 6th, Wilson's Op/Ed appears in the New York Times.

Originally, Miller's story was that she met with Libby only after Wilson's article appeared.

Now she acknowledges that she met with Libby BEFORE Wilson went public with her story.

Back to your car accident. Let's say you were in a car accident on July 6th. Two weeks before that, you met with your mechanic and he told you the brakes were faulty.

Two years later, you may not be able to remember the date of the car accident OR the meeting with the mechanic. However, I'll bet you'd remember which one happened first.